Vancouver - Los Angeles - Kuala Lumpur - Singapore - Dubai - Doha - New York

Join me as I travel around the world in 9 days
on four of the world's five-star airlines

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Business Class Lottery

To some it may come as a surprise that the world’s best airlines are in Asia. To others who know the industry and know this region, it’s not surprising at all. Asia isn’t what it once was a half Century or more ago. Today, highly functioning economies here have brought money, and with it discerning tastes, and high expectations. Partnered with this is national pride and immense competition in the airline industry. Take for instance the Los Angeles-Taipei route. On the day I left, there were 7 flights between these destinations on three different airlines. Simply put, if airlines aren’t committed to innovation, or don’t offer exceptional service, they’ll be left behind.

Ask anyone to name the top airlines in the world, and you’re likely to hear Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific. For years, these airlines have set the benchmark for airline excellence. I have flown both, but to be fair it’s difficult to compare, because the first involved five flights between North America and Australia, while my only Cathay Pacific experience was a one hour hop from Taipei to Hong Kong. Mind you, I did enjoy the cockpit jump seat on the return to Taipei, back when that was allowed.


Malaysia Airlines is a relative newcomer to the 5-star club, and my first on this trip. With nothing to do at LAX, I, and 350 other passengers waited restlessly at the gate for our 19+ hour flight to Kuala Lumpur, with a stop in Taipei. During this time, a number of passengers were called to the desk for important messages. This is called the business class lottery. It’s actually a lottery that only a handful of people are entered, which I suppose makes for good odds, because the majority of passengers know their names will never be called.

Just before boarding commenced the gate agent announced. “Would passenger Kenneth Donohue come to the desk for an important message.” I won the lottery. But I didn’t want to win the lottery. The story I was intending to write for the magazine was about the economy class service of the 5-star airlines.

I went to the counter and some kind man said I had been upgraded to business class and handed me two boarding passes—one for the flight to Taipei and another for the continuing service to Kuala Lumpur. But…but…but… This was the only word that tried to escape my mouth before he said “Enjoy your flight!”

My mind was racing. I kept wondering what I should do. I don’t think anyone has ever turned down an upgrade before. There probably isn’t a procedure for that, and besides they had already moved passengers around and presumably given my economy class set at 40A to someone else.

How was I going to spin this one? How can I be true to the original intent of the story if I’m sitting at the front of the plane in my lie-flat seat that comes equipped with pre-set controls for dining, lounging, and sleeping. And a button that starts a 10-minute massage?

Once on board, I did ask the purser if I could sit in economy on the Taipei-Kuala Lumpur leg. “You want to sit in economy,” he asked incredulously, wondering why I would ever want to contemplate such a thing. I then concluded that life is unpredictable, and sometimes things change. The big test is how we deal with change and unpredictability. So, I sunk into my sumptuous business class seat and tested the massage function. In fact, I pressed that button a number of times during the long flight, and I can tell you it works just fine.

I won’t bore you with all the details, at the moment. Suffice to say the service was excellent with flight attendants being gracious and friendly. They had warm smiles and a playful spirit that is often lacking from airlines in Europe and North America. The food was delicious, and I arrived in Kuala Lumpur as rested as anyone could have, having spent 26 hours getting here. If I were to find any faults it would be the overheated croissant I was served on the first leg. Think hard and crunchy. Even the person sitting next to me commented on the croissant. Sounds like a small thing, but it shouldn’t happen in the premium cabin. To be fair, the croissant I had on the second leg was much better. And my only other complaint was waiting 40 minutes for my bags after arriving at Kuala Lumpur. It wasn’t even busy. In fact, the arrivals area looked deserted.

Tomorrow I’m off to Singapore, a short 40 minute flight on Malaysia Airlines.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The trouble with business class, is that once you have had it, it absolutely ruins one for economy class for ever and ever!I think I tolerated economy class much better when I didn't know the pleasures to be found behind that flimsy little curtain...

Anonymous said...

How many classes does MH operate transcon? 2? 3? 4?

Ken Donohue said...

Malaysia Airlines offers three classes on its transpacfic service. 12 first class seats in the forward cabin, business class on the main and upper deck.

Royal Flush said...

Are you ging to comment on your stay in KL? Just curious.

Ken Donohue said...

Eric, I had a great time in KL, and am in the process of writing about it. My Singapore schedule is pretty busy, but I should have some time later this evening to post.