Vancouver - Los Angeles - Kuala Lumpur - Singapore - Dubai - Doha - New York

Join me as I travel around the world in 9 days
on four of the world's five-star airlines

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The idea

Flying around the world in economy class (in just over a week). Sound crazy...or the beginnings of a great adventure? As a contributing editor for Airways magazine, the original idea was to report on the economy class service of the world's 5-star airlines, as rated by SKYTRAX, a London based company that specializes in research for the air transport industry. Established in 1989, SKYTRAX now operates the world's most comprehensive range of airline, airport and air travel customer surveys. Each year, SKYTRAX releases its world airline star rankings.

In 2008, five international airlines were awarded the 5-star status: Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways, and Asiana Airlines (Korea). Kingfisher Airlines (India) was awarded 5-stars in the domestic category. In case you're wondering, Air Koryo (North Korea) is the world's only 1-star airline.

Malaysia, Singapore, and Qatar were keen to support my idea. Asiana and Cathay were not interested in participating; however, the latter offers reasonably priced fares from New York to Vancouver. This meant I could still make the project work by reporting on four of the five airlines and choosing a routing that would take me around the world.

With the all the airlines finally onboard, the next challenge was getting each to coordinate the schedule I had offered up.

Vancouver - Los Angeles (TBD)
Los Angeles - Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia Airlines)
Kuala Lumpur - Singapore (Malaysia Airlines)
Singapore - Dubai (Singapore Airlines)
Dubai - Doha (Qatar Airways)
Doha - New York (Qatar Airways)
New York - Vancouver (Cathay Pacific)

If all goes well, in a little more than two weeks time, I will begin my round the world journey.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello ,
Am Mrs Cynthia corvin . Am a lady with a great testimony I live in USA and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $360,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $360,000.0.Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs cynthia corvin, that refer you to him. contact Mr.Zak,via email:- feroozsuptoo@outlook.com